On his death in 2008 Tony Walton left a generous bequest to the New Zealand Archaeological Association to be used for projects relating to the promotion and use of the Site Recording Scheme. Tony was the NZAA central Filekeeper for nearly 30 years, a scrupulous worker and a long-time advocate of the Site Recording Scheme. He was largely responsible for CINZAS, the first computerised index of recorded sites, which was the forerunner of ArchSite.
NZAA Council made the decision to invest the principal of Tony’s bequest, add any other donations received, and distribute the interest and other accrued funds. In 2018, NZAA Council made the first awards from the fund and grants will continue to be made in the future.
Grants will be made to enable and assist in any work that promotes site recording, records new sites, and/or updates old records (especially those missed by the Upgrade Project). Work in areas of the country that have yet to have any survey work carried out is encouraged. The grants are intended to help cover costs directly associated with field work (transport, food, etc.), rather than wages.
Grants of less than the amount sought may be made.
The criteria are:
- Applicants must be a member of NZAA.
- Applications must be accompanied by a project outline, including expected outcomes.
- Applications should be for amounts less than $1000
- A focus on site recording must be central to the project.
- Applications relating to work on sites on interest to Māori must be carried out in conjunction with the appropriate iwi. Information about this should be specified in the application
- Applications must be accompanied by a budget and proposed timeframes.
- Site records must be completed or updated on ArchSite within 6 months of the award of the grant.
- Photographs suitable for promoting the work must be supplied to NZAA
- A short report or paper on the work must be submitted to AINZ within 6 months of the award of the grant.
Applications for the 2021 round of funding should be made to the NZAA secretary Zac McIvor (email@example.com) by 30 April 2021. Successful applicants will be notified in May 2021.