The Fernery was built around 1927-28. It is made of basalt rocks with Oamaru limestone vertical entrance stones. It is believed it may have had a glass roof with the glass taken from the ship the Paloona which was broken up at Port Chalmers about 1927. The aim of the project will be to remove vegetation and soil/leaf litter covering the floor so as to expose the original stonework and the piping system which supplied water to the fernery.
This work is in preparation to have fernery interpreted as part of the Larnach Castle garden walks.
Entry fees into Larnach Castle gardens apply.
Promoting and fostering archaeological research in New Zealand.
PO Box 6337
Contact NZAA »